CFO Job Description
FD Recruit has structured a typical job description for a chief financial officer detailing responsibilities and duties for a typical CFO role.
Below are a few generic responsibilities of a chief financial officer. When you register your vacancy with FD Recruit we will design you a bespoke job description that will be tailored exactly to your needs.
Duties will be entirely dependent on several factors including whether your business is domestic or international, and the roles and responsibilities will need to be shaped around your existing finance structure.
We also have a Finance Director job description in the FD Recruit resource section of our website.
- The Chief Financial Officer is accountable for the administrative, financial, and risk management operations of a business.
- The Chief Financial Officer will have primary responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial-related activities including the development of financial and operational strategies.
- The role of a Chief Financial Officer will include direct responsibility for accounting, finance, forecasting, strategic planning, deal analysis and negotiations and investor relations.
- As a key member of the Executive Management team, the Chief Financial Officer will report to the company CEO, Director or President and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the company.
Chief Financial Officer role, duties and responsibilities
A Chief Financial Officer will be expected to perform any of the following tasks:
- Assist in formulating the company’s future direction and supporting tactical initiatives
- Monitor and direct strategic business plans
- Develop financial and tax strategies
- Oversee all transactions and processing systems
- Implement operational best practices
- Supervise acquisition due diligence and negotiate acquisitions
- Provide strategic recommendations to enhance financial performance and new business opportunities
- Ensure effective internal controls are in place and compliance with GAAP and applicable regulatory legislation for financial and tax reporting
Typical qualities of a successful Chief Financial Officer include:
- Over ten years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organisation
- Strong problem solving and ability to make decisions based on accurate and timely analysis
- High level of integrity and dependability
- Make and implement crucial recommendations
Video: CFO Job Description
Watch our video for a summary of what needs to be included in a CFO job description…
OTHER USEFUL PAGES
- CFO Salary Survey, What should you expect to pay?
- Recruiting Tips to secure talented CFO’s
- CFO & Finance Director Packages, What benefits should be included
- Equity, Should it be offered?
Require assistance in securing a high calibre CFO? Please visit our location pages and speak to one of our expert recruiters today!